Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Terrific Trash


I challenged the 1st and 4th graders to use their imagination to turn their trash into treasure by taking something ordinary and transforming it into something extraordinary! I spent a week "dumpster diving" around the school collecting (and cleaning) recyclables to use for our terrific trash sculptures. I also encouraged the 4th grades to bring in their own recyclables, old boxes, broken electronics, and broken toys to use for their projects. Prior to building their sculptures, students sketched ideas of what they could build with the materials they had access to. "If you know you eat a box of Fruit Loops a week, then your sketch should have a cereal box in it...If you drink a chocolate milk every morning for breakfast, then you should do a sketch using 5 chocolate milk containers."

Both grade levels created memorable sculptures that I am proud to
share with the world! Take a look...








Below is an inspirational news clip about terrific trash I found on Youtube and shared with my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment